Joshua 1:9

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you may go. Joshua 1:9

Friday, April 27, 2012

Back In the USA


And there are a few things I miss about Thailand. A few days ago I wouldn't have known what to put in this post. But after just 4 hours in the states, I had a list.

1. People spend way too much time on their phones. Seriously, it's crazy and prior to our trip I might have agreed that in general people are on their phones a lot. But the stark difference between the two countries is unreal. You couldn't talk to anyone even if you wanted to because everyone has a phone or ear bud they're attached to.

2. This is the sick one. My country is the land of the fat and overweight. I just went from feeling like the heavy one in Thailand to being among the few healthy weight people in the Houston airport. And my fellow travelers have gotten heavier with each flight. I also noticed the quality of food between Thailand and Japan and the US. Our earlier flights with snacks and meals had fruit, protein, rice, and water. Our flight into Houston was pasta, hamburgers, ice-cream, candy, rolls, and soft drinks. And I didn't really want any of it. Give me the rice, veggies, and a protein any day.

3.  Care for the children and young mothers. In both the Thai and Japan airports I was asked several times if I needed assistance with Bee. In Houston, lugging 2 huge suitcases, a carry-on, and Bee crying behind me getting to our departing terminal, not one person offered help. Not one.

4. Cost of food and eating out. Wow. We could stop at a road side vendor or little family restaurant, and fill our bellies on  $2 per person or less. Here, that's not even possible. I miss it! And the food was so good too...I'm not talking McD's quality. Chicken skewers, stir-fry veggies, sticky rice or steamed rice. Good food. And so cheap!

5. While not specific to Thailand, we do miss the ocean. We loved our 5 weeks of beach front living and being able to just walk out to water and jump in. On our bucket list is to one day have water front property again.

6. We miss the culture. The friendly genuine smile on every face. And so helpful. No matter where you went there was always someone to help if you needed it. Here you can walk the entire length of a large store and not find a single employee to assist you. In Thailand, there is someone on every aisle.

7. Easy transportation. This at least applies to the DFW area. We got along just fine using the public transportation for getting around. Not even really possible around here.

8. No "Keeping up with the Jones'" mentality. Like new cars....not hardly around in Thailand. In fact you rarely ever see new cars and the main form of transportation is by motorbike. They also use everything till it is no longer usable. And then someone will come along and find a new use for it. They do not just throw anything away.

9. Entrepreneurs.  They are everywhere there. The number of roadside food stands, food carts, night market vendors, and many more. There may not be much in the way of regulation, but I like that. Anyone could sell anything anywhere to provide for their family. The US could learn a few lessons on that.

This is my starter list. I'm sure the longer we're here the list will get longer. We are so so glad to be home though! And there are things we love about the US. But there are quite a few things we miss about Thailand too.

1 comment:

  1. OH WOW! I remember a few years ago a mama at an airport with 2 little ones, a stroller and a car seat by herself. She looked like she was going to cry. I helped her to the help desk and asked if they would please help her! That is what they are supposed to do! Welcome Home!

    ReplyDelete